The fine folks over at NORML have compiled a list of the 8 states that have campaigns to legalize marijuana and regulate it more like alcohol and less like heroin–as soon as this year. These are those 8 states and those acts:
- California: Regulate Marijuana Like Wine
- Colorado: Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act
- Michigan: The 2012 Michigan Ballot Initiative to End Marijuana Prohibition
- Missouri: Show-Me Cannabis Regulation
- Montana: Montana First: Ending Criminal Penalties for Marijuana
- Nebraska: The Nebraska Cannabis Initiative
- Oregon: Oregon Cannabis Tax Act of 2012
Washington: Initiative 502
There’s a common thread running through all of these campaigns: REGULATE WEED LIKE BOOZE!!! And it’s simply the biggest and brightest argument to be made for marijuana legalization. Along with tobacco.
The math is relatively simple: Alochol and Tobacco kill people; Marijuana has never killed anyone. People should be able to smoke herb freely, and grow marijuana plants without having to worry about Big Brother. The industry should be legitimized, and a lot of patients would sleep easier at night. These activist movements are a start in the right direction.
Head over to NORML for the whole breakdown of all the initiatives.