• Sow up to 10-12 seeds in a 4-6 inch pot
• If tops reach over 5 inches before transplant, cut to 3 inches
• When planting out carefully separate the seedlings and place in a shallow trench
• Fill trench around seedlings and water in well
Allium cepa Days to maturity are calculated from date of direct seeding.
Harvest & Storage
• For scallions: harvest when pencil size or larger, wash and trim roots, store in a bag at 36°F and 95% relative humidity
• As bulbs approach maturity, withhold water so protective paper can form
• After about half the tops have fallen, push over the remainder; wait about 1 week then harvest
• Cure in a warm (75-80°F), shaded, well-ventilated location until outer skin and necks are dry, then trim tops, leaving one inch above the bulb
• Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area
• Check occasionally and immediately remove any sprouting or rotting onions
• Thin to the strongest plant when 4-5 inches
95 days. This variety is as glossy and deep red as an apple. With a super-mild flavor and gorgeous, solid, red-ringed interior, it’s a tempting and delicious fresh-eating onion. Flattened, globe shaped bulbs grow to 4 inches across. Also touted as containing high concentrations of quercetins, a powerful antioxidant. Intermediate-day variety.
One Bunch = 4 – 6 dozen plants. Onion plants are shipped directly from the grower January through early May, according to where you live. Not available to Hawaii, Idaho, or Canada. Cases not available to AK.
To check the estimated ship date for your area click here.
Insects & Diseases
• Common insects: Onion thrips and maggots
• Insect control: Pyrethrin or Predatory Nematodes
• Common diseases: Fusarium basal rot, pink root
• Disease prevention: 5-7 year crop rotation
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
Sorry, we cannot ship products to Hawaii, Alaska, APO/FPO or outside the contiguous United States. Please provide a street address as some products are unable to be delivered to Post Office boxes.