If weeds are starting to overturn your turf, here are four steps to stop them in their tracks:
Taming a lawn full of weeds might feel daunting, but it’s all about keeping your turf as healthy as can be.
If you spray that, you can kill 80 to 100 percent of weeds’ top growth, found USDA research.
Any tricks for killing weeds in the lawn without killing grass?
Yes! But it may take more time and effort. Spraying vinegar directly on weeds is a natural way to get rid of them. It dries out the plant leaves and kills what’s above the ground.
So, the best way to get rid of weeds is to make your lawn an environment where it’s difficult for them to thrive.
My lawn is all weeds. What should I do?
- Examine your lawn to figure out what weeds you’re dealing with. Since treatments are made to target specific weeds, you’ll need to figure out what’s plaguing your lawn before buying products.
- Choose a treatment made both for the type of weeds and the stage they’re in. If you plan to target weeds in spring before the growing season, you’ll need a pre-emergent. For established weeds, get a post-emergent.
- Kill the weeds by carefully following the directions for both how much product to apply and when to use. Read the bag at least three times before starting to be safe!
- Keep up with a proper lawn maintenance schedule to help keep your lawn weed-free.
and aerate if necessary.
- Give your turf one last short mow and fertilization treatment before winter .
- Come spring, start fresh with pre-emergent and hand pick any lingering weeds.
- Mow your lawn regularly in spring and summer, being careful not to remove more than a third of grass at a time.
Low-mowed grass, compacted soil and water-deprived turf all encourage weeds. Reversing these problems and maintaining a healthy lawn is the best way to permanently say goodbye to weeds.
By the way, it is recommended that you fertilize your lawn twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall.
Michael Briansky on December 16, 2019:
Low-Maintenance Outdoor Potted Plants for Your Patio or Garden
To make your weed removal efforts long-lasting, you can take some proactive measures to delay unwanted plants from growing back again by using chemical products or by laying down landscape fabric. Both of these methods are described in detail below.
Gene on July 20, 2017:
Natural Weed Prevention Using Landscape Fabric
Elizabeth on September 16, 2013:
Hand-weeding is still the best defense on small lawns where the number of weeds isn’t overwhelming. It’s most effective against annual broadleaf weeds. Pulling them while they’re young—before they flower and seed—is the simplest way to prevent them from spreading.
How to Get Rid of Weeds
Most lawn weeds are opportunists that take root wherever they can find the space and catch a few rays of sunlight. If you already have a weed problem on your hands but aren’t sure what types are popping up on your lawn, read about some of the most common types of weeds.
Share this story
Three quality products are Concern Weed Prevention Plus, WOW! and WeedzSTOP. A drawback to these and most other preemergence herbicides is that they kill germinating lawn seed. Check product labels carefully.