Posted on

license to grow medical weed in oklahoma

Welcome to the Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority (OMMA) website. The OMMA was established to oversee the medical marijuana program for the State of Oklahoma. It is responsible for licensing, regulating, and administering the program as authorized by state law. Operating under the Oklahoma State Department of Health, the primary goal is to ensure safe and responsible practices for the people of Oklahoma.

This website is the official site for application submission and information for patients, caregivers, dispensaries, growers, processors, and physicians. All applications are processed through this site. Please check back often for updated information.

License to grow medical weed in oklahoma

Application information and requirements for licenses are available at In addition to other licensing requirements, applicants must be at least 25 years old, reside in Oklahoma, and the entities must be registered to conduct business in the state. At least 75 percent of the ownership of entities must be by Oklahoma residents. The license application fee for growers, processors, and dispensaries is $2,500.

"Processor" or "Commercial Processor" means an individual or entity that has been issued a medical marijuana business license by the Department, which allows the processor to: purchase medical marijuana or medical marijuana products from a grower or processor; process, package, sell, transfer, and transport or contract with a commercial transporter to transport medical marijuana and medical marijuana products that they processed to a licensed dispensary, processor, or testing laboratory in accordance with Oklahoma law and this Chapter; and process medical marijuana received from a licensed patient into a medical marijuana concentrate, for a fee. Processors will receive either a hazardous processor license or a non-hazardous processor license based on the type of chemicals the processor will be utilizing in the extraction process in accordance with these Rules.

A medical marijuana processor license allows a business to legally process marijuana for medical purposes in Oklahoma. Licensed processors can sell to licensed dispensaries and other licensed processors. Licensed processors may also process marijuana into a concentrated form for a patient license holder for a fee. Processor licenses will be in the form of a license certificate. Licensed processors must comply with Title 63 O.S. § 420 et seq. and the Oklahoma Administrative Code (OAC) 310:681.

  • Trade Name / DBA – When filling out your application, please provide your trade name/DBA ("doing business as"). If you do not have a trade name/DBA then provide your legal entity name as filed with the Oklahoma Secretary of State. When uploading your documentation for trade name/DBA, please provide documentation from the Oklahoma Secretary of State certifying your trade name/DBA. If you do not have a trade name, please upload a word document attesting that you do not have a trade name and will only use your legal business name.
  • Application Processing – The timeline for OMMA review of business applications and renewals will be 90 business days. If an application is rejected for failure to provide required information, applicants will have 30 calendar days to submit the required information for reconsideration or the application will expire.
  • Renewal Applications – The online renewal system will be available starting August 30. Businesses should submit their renewal application prior to the expiration date of the license, but no sooner than 60 days prior to the expiration date. As long as the renewal application is submitted on time, the existing license will remain valid while the renewal application is being processed.
  • New Commercial Transporter Licenses – Stand-alone transporter business license applications and individual transporter agent license applications will be available starting August 30, 2019. Growers, processors, dispensaries, laboratories, and those with research or education licenses will be issued a transporter license with their business license. Both a transporter business license and an individual transporter agent card will be required for transportation of medical marijuana.
  • Residency Requirements – New businesses will need to meet the new residency requirements, which include proof of residency for the last two years preceding the date of renewal or application or five continuous years of the last 25 years preceding the date of renewal or application, in order to establish that 75% of the owners are Oklahoma residents as required by SQ 788. Documentation proving residency for the duration of two or five years will be required at application. Proper application of theexemption from additional residency requirements for existing businesses is pending review by the Oklahoma Attorney General.
  • Certificate of Compliance – All business applicants will be required to submit an approved Certificate of Compliance received from the political subdivision that has jurisdiction where the business is located (usually a city or county). Businesses located within Oklahoma City will submit the Certificate of Compliance provided by Oklahoma City. Businesses are encouraged to contact their city or county for more information on the Certificate of Compliance process before submitting their application.
  • Distance from Schools – HB 2646 removed preschools from the definitions of "public school" and "private school.” Dispensaries will have to prove their location meets this updated requirement at application and renewal. Additionally, homeschool, daycare, and childcare facilities are not included in the definitions of "public school" or "private school."

What if my legal business name is different then my store name?

Applications and payment will be collected at A valid email address is required for login. This email address will be used to send notices once an account is created.

Testing Process Flowchart

  • Applicants must supply a Certificate of Compliance for their business location
  • No individual with ownership interest in the business can be a sheriff, deputy sheriff, police officer or prosecuting officer, or an officer or employee of OMMA or a municipality in which the commercial entity is located
  • Applicants must supply ownership disclosure documentation
  • Applicants must provide proof of good standing from the Secretary of State (SOS) and/or their permit from the Oklahoma Tax Commission (OTC), if applicable, depending on the business type and business structure:

What is a medical marijuana transportation license?

A medical marijuana transportation license will be provided with an approved grower, processor, dispensary, laboratory, research, or education license. A transportation license is in the form of a notation on the commercial license and allows an individual/entity to legally transport medical marijuana with a copy of the license.

Proof of identity can be established by providing a digital, color copy of one of the following unexpired, valid documents:

License to grow medical weed in oklahoma

With the recent passage of State Question 788 (authorizing the production, sale, and use of medical marijuana), the Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH) is poised to adopt implementing regulations. The current draft regulations set forth the manner in which the OSDH proposes to regulate the growth, processing, transporting, researching, testing, selling, and purchase of medical marijuana, as well as requirements for recommendations by physicians. The OSDH is expected to adopt regulations on July 10, 2018.

Obtaining commercial licenses for medical marijuana in Oklahoma

Commercial licensees are responsible for implementing appropriate security measures to deter and prevent theft and diversion, including alarm and video surveillance systems. Licenses are non-transferable, and each license is specific to its location. All prospective licensees are subject to inspection by the OSDH before a license will issue, and licensees must permit OSDH representatives to further inspect their premises and records.


The following are some of the highlights of the law and proposed regulations affecting those seeking commercial licenses for dispensaries, commercial growers, and processors. As a reminder, marijuana remains illegal under federal law, and there remain legal risks for those engaged in the business even though they may be operating in compliance with Oklahoma law. Further, because of the federal regulatory landscape, medical marijuana may not be transported across state lines. Consequently, as a practical matter sales in dispensaries will not begin until commercial growers are able to obtain licenses and grow, harvest, test, and sell their products.