Posted on

rules for growing weed in washington

First time marijuana offenders may have the imposition of the standard sentence waived with conditions. For violations which involve a small amount of drugs (as determined by the judge), the offender may have the standard sentence waived in lieu treatment or a prison-based alternative.

A person who delivers a controlled substance, which is subsequently used by the person delivered to and results in their death, is guilty of a class B felony punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment and/or a fine up to $20,000. An additional mandatory fine of $1,000 applies to first offenses and $2,000 to second or subsequent offenses.

The state allows conditional release or alternative or diversion sentencing for people facing their first prosecutions. Usually, conditional release lets a person opt for probation rather than trial. After successfully completing probation, the individual’s criminal record does not reflect the charge.

Civil damages

Suspension of sentencing is available for all drug offenses, at the discretion of the court. Conditions to this probation may include paying fines and reporting to a probation officer.

Juveniles (age 13-21) will have their driving privileges revoked for any offense under this statute. For the first offense, the privileges will be revoked for 1 year or until the person reaches 17 years old, whichever is longer. A second or subsequent offense will result in the revocation of privileges for 2 years or until the individual is 18 years old, whichever is longer.

Mandatory Fee

Possession of one ounce to 40 grams is a misdemeanor, punishable by a mandatory minimum of 24 hours and maximum of 90 days in jail. A mandatory fine of $250 is imposed for the first offense, and a mandatory fine of $500 is imposed for the second or subsequent violations. This is in addition to a possible fine up to $1,000. The imprisonment will not be suspended or deferred unless it is determined that it “will pose a substantial risk to the defendant’s physical or mental well-being or that local jail facilities are in an overcrowded condition.” The mandatory fine may not be suspended or deferred unless the defendant is found to be indigent.

Involving a person under the age of 18 (compensating, soliciting, or threatening) in a transaction to cultivate, sell, or deliver marijuana is a class C felony punishable by up to 5 years imprisonment and/or a fine up to $10,000. An additional mandatory fine of $1,000 applies to first offenses and $2,000 to second or subsequent offenses.

Yes. Washington requires that you carry a commercial general liability insurance policy provided by a carrier with a rating of no less than A—Class VII. The WSLCB has to be listed as an additional insured on all of your general liability, umbrella, and excess insurance policies.

You must keep extensive record of all inventories and upload records in the state’s database. The following needs to be kept completely up-to-date in the system:

Not currently. The number of licenses is capped, and the WSLCB isn’t opening up applications for new licenses anytime in the foreseeable future.


Primarily, you need to be sure your grow location is located at least 1000 feet from any elementary or secondary school, playground, recreation center or facility, child care center, public park, public transit center, library, or game arcade that allows minors to enter. As of June 2015, counties and municipalities have the right to enact an ordinance reducing the 1000 ft buffer to a minimum of 100 ft (with the exception of elementary schools, secondary schools and playgrounds). Olympia Ordinance 7046, for example, reduces the buffer zone in the state capital to 500 feet.

All employees on licensed premises must hold and properly display an employer-issued ID badge at all times while at work.

One nice thing about growing marijuana (as opposed to selling it as a retailer) is that you don’t have to sweat finding the most convenient place for customers. In fact, for security purposes, an out-of-the-way location can be a bonus. This can make it a little easier to abide by the state’s zoning requirements.

Can I sample my own product?

You have to be at least 21 years old and have been a Washington resident for at least 6 months. Business entities (like LLCs and corporations) can also hold licenses, but the entity must have been formed in Washington and all members in the business must have been residents for at least 6 months. All licensees have to maintain their residency for as long as they hold their licenses.

Tier One: less than two thousand square feet.
Tier Two: two thousand square feet to 10 thousand square feet.
Tier Three: 10 thousand square feet to 30 thousand square feet.